Monday, April 23, 2012

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes

On Saturday, April 21, I had the privilege of attending the 5th Annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event in Stockton, California. Men literally walked a mile in women’s shoes to protest rape, sexual assault and gender violence. Last year, more than 100 men participated in the walk, and this year, there was an even larger turn out! Walk a Mile in Her Shoes challenged men to walk one mile in a pair of women’s shoes to raise awareness and funds to support the Women’s Center’s services for sexual assault victims. The purpose of the march is to raise awareness and to involve men in ending rape, sexual assault and gender violence.

I also had the privilege of creating my own team to walk in this event, which represented my organization, "Saving Stephanie." I had 10 men walk on my team, along with other friends and members of my family come out to walk along side of us and offer their support.  I am extremely grateful for the opportunity I had to be a part of this wonderful event, and am even more grateful that so many men came out to participate!

Some members from my "Saving Stephanie" team.
Even University of the Pacific's mascot came out to walk in heels!












No comments:

Post a Comment